Skip to main content
About this Indoor Garden
The Orchid House displays a fraction of the 7,500 orchids at Longwood Gardens. To ensure a continuous display, our orchid grower hand picks and replaces the plants three times a week with others from our five orchid growing houses.
Orchids become the focus of our display every winter during Orchid Extravaganza.
x Odontocidium Golden Trident ′Golden Gate′
Orchids were a passion of our founder, Pierre S. du Pont and his wife, Alice. Both Mr. and Mrs. du Pont were charter members of the American Orchid Society. Orchids were one of our first plant collections—started in 1922. In 1948, the collection was greatly enlarged when Pierre S. du Pont’s sister-in-law, Mrs. William K. du Pont, donated her well-known and respected collection of more than 2,300 orchid plants to Longwood.